Thursday, March 10, 2011

Routines

Today, was an interesting day. Unusual, to say the least. And apologies, loyal readers. Hello, haphazard stranger. A forewarning: Today was 'magical.'
I was woken at 10 am by the maintenance,  Sophia and I, and occasionally poor, congested Drake were awake until very late due to late naps. Well, it sucks when you wake up and have to let maintenance take over your bathroom. The kids were fantastic, no fusing or fighting. Sophie read Drake his Thomas the train book as they had breakfast. We paid a visit next door, both to use the restroom and gossip. I helped my elderly neighbor with a full head of hair pick out a wig. The kids came home easily and played well, and surprisingly watched Thomas and Diego while sitting next to each other sharing a blanket. Admittedly, there were disruptions. They really didn't bother the guys fixing the toilet much either. Found out one is a cousin by marriage, AND they cleaned up their mess. I chatted with my boss, and a friend through him. Talked about plants, growing things. People and spirits. Snakes.
It was raining today, but Spring rain makes the Summer bloom. Spring, it's here. Old man Winter is holding her tight, but his visit is over. They both know it. I know it, I FEEL it. Routines.
The rain dripping, tap-tap on the window. Ping! Ding! Tick! from the rain on the outside of the wall mounted air conditioning unit. I see the grass greening, the buds fattening on the trees and bushes. The weeds, such a loose word, poking sleepy fingers into the air. There is a treed strip outside my largest window between the complex and a field and creek. I am so lucky as to have a trail, well made, in view. I've sown wildflower seeds, and I will again after grandfather frost lets go. But I feel things growing. I've seen them in my garden. The daffodils and crocus will be ready for Easter. I have a forced Hyacinth not fully bloomed, potted 8 weeks, no refrigeration, except the extreme cold of my half underground apartment, with my uninsulated walls, and drafty single pane windows. That's another rant, though. I had my coffee and had none after 2pm, Drake agreed to lay down to bed, literally. Probably because his nap was interrupted, and our hour long dancing and jumping on mommy's giant and conveniently floor located bed. But Sophie never got her nap, because my dad dropped by. That was rather unpleasant. He accused me of being high, right off. Which, by the way, I was not. Sick, yes. But not stoned. I tried to engage him in conversation a couple of times, but he was playing with Sophie, and then Drake after they woke him up. I got a few replies, mostly cold or suspicious glares. My sister always talks about her conversations with my dad. She knows all about what he's been doing, but not only because she reads his journal. He talks to her. He will maintain a conversation easily and pleasantly with anyone but me. And me? Well I'm pissed off. I'm the one asking because I care. I'm the one who took care of you when you were sick. I stayed home from school when you had kidney stones. I slept on the hospital floor when you were there to keep you company. I who strove so hard for your approval, to be shot down from the beginning. I resented you for so long, for your sheer disinterest. I took to disappearing again, and never faced interest. Only ever accusations. Never yes I'd like to hear about your waterfall. Always, playing with fire? Smoking? Boys? I didn't even like boys. Cooties, and all that. But seriously, 14 years later. I am grown, with two healthy happy brilliant children, and he is still treating me like this? I can't even get a pleasant exchange? I was pissed. Sophie felt it, and had a meltdown. I decided to ignore her and tried to watch Grownups. It worked, except she needed the seat closest to the laptop, which I was using to watch. I gave in and she passed out. It is now 2:25 am and I've been at this more than two hours. Though there is more on my mind and I got majorly off topic, I am going to bed. More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment